Your heart is a strong, muscular body organ situated slightly to the left of her chest. That pumps blood come all parts of the body with a network that blood ship by repeatedly expanding and contracting. ~ above average, your heart will beat 100,000 times and also pump around 2,000 gallons of blood each day.
You are watching: Why is it important for blood to flow in only one direction
The love is separated into a right and also left side, be separate by a septum. Each side has actually an atrium (which obtain blood as it enters) and a ventricle (from i m sorry blood is pumped out). The heart has a total of 4 chambers: appropriate atrium, best ventricle, left atrium and also left ventricle.
The right side of the love collects oxygen-depleted blood and also pumps it to the lungs, through the pulmonary arteries, so the the lungs deserve to refresh the blood v a new supply that oxygen.
The left next of the heart receives oxygen-rich blood from the lungs, then pumps blood the end to the rest of the body"s tissues, through the aorta.
Valves keep direction of blood flow
As the love pumps blood, a series of valves open and also close tightly. This valves ensure that blood operation in just one direction, avoiding backflow.The tricuspid valve is situated in between the best atrium and right ventricle.The pulmonary valve is between the ideal ventricle and also the pulmonary artery.The mitral valve is between the left atrium and left ventricle.The aortic valve is in between the left ventricle and the aorta.
Each love valve, other than for the mitral valve, has three flaps (leaflets) that open and also close like entrances on a fence. The mitral valve has two valve leaflets.
The circulatory system
While the heart and also lungs room the largest organs the the circulatory system, the blood vessels room the longest. This expanded network that stretchy tube circulates blood transparent the body. Laid end-to-end, your body"s blood vessels would extend about 60,000 miles. That"s more than 21 road trips between brand-new York and also Los Angeles!
Arteries (along with smaller sized arterioles and also microscopic capillaries) convey oxygen- and nutrient-rich blood to the body"s tissues. In turn, veins carry nutrient-depleted blood earlier to the heart. Follow me the way, blood is routed with the kidneys and also liver, as well, filtering waste products from the blood.
Electrical impulses save the beat
The heart"s 4 chambers pump in an organized manner through the aid of electrical impulses that originate in the sinoatrial node (also called the "SA node"). Located on the wall surface of the ideal atrium, this tiny cluster of committed cells is the heart"s natural pacemaker, initiating electrical impulses at a normal rate.
The advertise spreads with the wall surfaces of the right and also left atria, bring about them come contract, forcing blood into the ventricles. The impulse climate reaches the atrioventricular (AV) node, which acts together an electric bridge because that impulses to take trip from the atria come the ventricles. Indigenous there, a pathway of fibers (the HIS-Purkinje network) dead the impulse right into the ventricles, i m sorry contract and also force blood the end of the heart.
Heart anatomy: by the numbers
1. Exceptional vena cava: receive blood indigenous the upper body; it is intended blood right into the right atrium.
2. Worse vena cava: obtain blood from the lower extremities, pelvis and abdomen, and delivers blood right into the best atrium.
3. Best atrium: obtain blood return to the heart from the superior and inferior vena cava; transmits blood come the right ventricle, i beg your pardon pumps blood to the lungs for oxygenation.
4. Tricuspid valve: enables blood to happen from the appropriate atrium come the ideal ventricle; stays clear of blood native flowing ago into the right atrium as the love pumps (systole).
5. Appropriate ventricle: obtain blood from the best atrium; pumps blood right into the pulmonary artery.
6. Pulmonary valve: enables blood come pass into the pulmonary arteries; prevents blood indigenous flowing ago into the best ventricle.
7. Pulmonary arteries: bring oxygen-depleted blood native the love to the lungs.
8. Pulmonary veins: deliver oxygen-rich blood native the lungs to the left atrium of the heart.
9. Left atrium: obtain blood returning to the heart from the pulmonary veins.
10. Mitral valve: enables blood to circulation into the left ventricle; prevents blood native flowing back into the left atrium.
11. Left ventricle: receives oxygen-rich blood native the left atrium and also pumps blood right into the aorta.
See more: Wear My Ring ( Little Angel With The Bottle Lyrics By Bart Crow Band
12. Aortic valve: enables blood to pass from the left ventricle come the aorta; avoids backflow that blood into the left ventricle.